Saturday, October 18, 2014

SO happy to know this about the Horseshoe Crabs...



So I know I posted that article from Jim Scaia recently about Horseshoe Crab molting - but I have to admit it's so great to actually go to the beach and see it for myself - that the shells come apart in the back, where the crab backed his way out of the old shell.

And I've been busy showing this "trick" to everyone I walk with. My husband. My kids. My friends. Even my dogs, although they don't seem as impressed. Maybe they already knew there wasn't any crab meat left in those discarded shells.

And yes, most of the shells are refilled with sand, making them heavy so they seem to be full.

Remember this trick to try next time you're at the beach. And smile to know that those crabs aren't dead, but rather have moved on to bigger and better things. Or at least bigger and better shells.

No comments:

Post a Comment